Will Obamcare survive past 2013? Here’s how businesses see it:
They’re not placing all their chips on Mitt Romney winning the White House and repealing Obamacare. Companies are instead moving forward as though much, maybe all, of Obamacare survives past 2013.
The 2012 “Employer Survey on Purchasing Value in Health Care” by Towers Watson and the National Business Group on Health shows:
- 40% of employers plan on devloping a culture where employees are more accountable for their health conditions
- 25% will review their mix of benefits, perhaps making cuts
- 13% plan on adding a spousal surcharge
- 24% already have a spousal surcharge
- 11% plan on offering a consumer-driven health plan starting in 2013
The study also found employees’ share of the cost burden is rising. Workers’ portion of their companies’ health costs increased 9.3% from 2011 to 2012.
And over the past five years, employees have seen a 40% increase in costs.